We are a large community of people from all over the globe who share one thing in common: a love of canines. All responsible owners and dog lovers are welcome here, from professional trainers, to novice dog owners, or even those who are still considering their leap into life with a canine companion.
Many discussions are undertaken in this community, including: training queries/advice, dog-related articles, health tips, grooming matters, personal anecdotes, legislative concerns, and of course, bragging about your canine charges!
Feel free to post photographs of your dog, whilst ensuring you adhere to the image guidelines in the rules section below.
In addition to the above, we hold two monthly competitions. These are the Caption Competition and the Photograph Competition. You don't have to be a master of witticisms or a professional photographer to enter, it's all done in the name of fun. However, please ensure that you familiarize yourself with the simple rules of the competitions as specified in the relevant sections below.
Likewise, all potential members are kindly asked to familiarize themselves with the general community rules prior to applying.
If there is anything you are unsure about or if you have any concerns/suggestions please feel free to message your friendly community moderator: rhapsodical78 via the 'personal message' function.
Enjoy your stay!
Are you an owner, registered breeder or exhibitor of a particular breed of dog? Help contribute to our information resources by creating a post including the below survey. All such entries will be tagged as 'breed profiles' to aid members in locating information about various breeds. The thread can then be elaborated on in comments by others who wish to fill out the survey and/or add photos for that breed. Note that not all questions in the survey have to be answered.
Please check the tags to ensure NO double-ups occur - if your chosen breed has already been featured feel free to fill out the survey in the comments only - DO NOT CREATE ANOTHER THREAD.
1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)
2. Where and why was the breed first developed?
3. How common is it?
4. What is the average lifespan?
5. What is the general temperament/personality?
6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?
7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?
8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?
9. How much grooming is required?
10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?
11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?
12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)
A photo will be posted each month for captioning. Each caption will be screened for the sake of anonymity. Come voting time, quotes will be reproduced on the voting page anonymously and members will vote via a poll. Once the winner is announced, all the quotes will be attributed to their entrants.
- Only one caption is permitted per member.
- Captions must be under 25 words.
- Entrants must not vote for their own captions. This will be policed.
- Once the voting poll is posted, further captions will not be accepted.
- The winner will be displayed on this info page.
- To submit photos for captioning please go here.
- To participate in the current competition please go here.
1. Feel free to ask anything, but please keep in mind that no medical advice you receive here should ever replace that of a veterinary professional. If you suspect that your dog is sick, please contact your vet immediately.
2. Harassment is not permitted, and will result in being banned. Debate is encouraged, however personal attacks and name-calling are not. Occasionally, someone may post something with which you disagree. Please reply with constructive criticism/advice as this community is geared toward education; hostility will only result in alienation. By the same token, if the same constructive criticism/advice has already been dispensed a number of times, mindless reiteration will likely result in OP defensiveness and is therefore discouraged.
3. Always use an LJ-CUT when posting multiple and/or large images. You may post one (1) small or medium sized image (500 pixels x 500 pixels) without a cut. Likewise, text-heavy posts will also require a cut.
4. Advertisement of communities is permitted only if they are dog related.
5. Please respect that this is a family oriented community, therefore any images posted should be family friendly. This includes your user icon(s).
6. No post deletion or comment deletion is permitted.
7. Due to the sheer number of scammers on the internet I must advise that we are unable to support posts containing donation requests unless they are direct to a reputable rescue organization or veterinary hospital. All donation request posts that do not adhere to these requirements will be deleted.
Members who do not follow the above rules will receive one warning. A repeat offense will result in a ban.
8. Members who seek to deliberately undermine the reputation or operation of the community will be automatically banned.
9. Stalking and harassment is a serious offense. Any person found harassing another community member will be banned. If this stalking spills over into real life the matter will be handed over to the LJ Abuse Team who may follow legal channels with serious ramifications. Think very carefully before you disseminate another member's personal information or attempt to contact them in real life.
Members who do not follow the above rules will be automatically banned.
Rules are enforced at the discretion of the moderators who reserve he right to moderate the community as they see fit.
Some changes have been made to LiveJournal, and we hope you enjoy them! As we continue to improve the site on a daily basis to make your experience here better and faster, we would greatly appreciate your feedback about these changes. Please let us know what we can do for you!